About the Department
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Civil Engineering, established in 2010, offers B.Tech. programme in Civil Engineering of four years duration with an annual intake of 60 students. The programme is approved by AICTE and affiliated to Andhra University, Visakhapatnam. The Department is headed by Prof.B.V.Shiva Kumar.
Vision To produce Civil Engineers with the requisite knowledge, skills and attitudes, who can be entrusted by the society to lead a sustainable world with enhanced quality of life.
Mission To effectively train our students as Civil Engineers who can serve the society competently, collaboratively and ethically as
- Planners, designers, constructors and operators of the built environment.
- Leaders of the natural environment and its resources.
- Innovators and integrators of ideas and technologies across the public, private and academic sectors.
- Managers of risk and uncertainty caused by natural events, accidents and other threats.
- Leaders in discussions and decisions shaping public, environmental and infrastructure policies.
A vibrant Department ,with the first batch of undergraduate students graduating in 2014, the Department of Civil Engineering aims to produce graduate engineers equipped for careers in the public and private sector encompassing areas such as Structural Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Water Resources, Transportation, Environmental and Construction industries. The faculty is well trained in all major specializations of Civil Engineering. Spacious and well equipped State-of-the-Art laboratories and computing facilities are the mainstay of the Department. Frequent visits by professionals from the construction industry and guest lectures by visiting faculty provide practical experience and keep students abreast with the latest advancements. Apart from the syllabus, Civil Engineering is a broad field of engineering that deals with the planning, construction and maintenance of fixed structures or public works as they are related to Earth, Water, or Civilization and their processes. Most of the practising Civil Engineers today deal with power plants, bridges, roads, railways, structures, water supply, irrigation, natural environment, sewerage systems, flood control, transportation and traffic. In essence, Civil Engineering may be regarded as the profession that makes the world a more agreeable place to live in. The Department also offers consultancy services for soil and concrete testing to construction sites in and around Visakhapatnam.
Programme Educational Objectives
- To impart to students in depth knowledge of Civil Engineering subjects to solve practical problems using modern techniques.
- To develop the ability to plan, analyse, design and construct structures from the foundation to the superstructure level with cost-effective design methods.
- To develop the ability for successful careers as entrepreneurs and to pursue research.
- To enable the ability to identify issues related to the environment and find suitable solutions.
- To train the students to understand the ethical responsibility of Civil Engineering profession and apply relevant code for engineering practice while delivering service to the nation.
Graduates in Civil Engineering will be able to
- Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science and construction technology to solve the Civil Engineering problems.
- Identify, formulate and analyse complex Civil Engineering problems.
- Design a structural component that meets desired specifications and requirements.
- Design and conduct experiments, analyse and interpret data to report results.
- Apply modern engineering Software Tools and equipment to model and analyse Civil Engineering structures catering to the needs of the nation.
- Apply engineering solutions to assess public health and safety.
- Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts and need for sustainable development.
- Apply ethical principles in discharging professional responsibilities.
- Function effectively as an individual, member or leader in multidisciplinary activities.
- Communicate effectively in both verbal and written forms on constructional projects.
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of Civil Engineering and management principles in their professional endeavours.
- Understand the need for independent and life-long learning with the ever change-in- technology